Ffestiniog Railway © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
A 21km trek through meadows, woodlands, lakes and waterfalls within Snowdonia National Park. It was in 1832 that an Act of Parliament allowed the construction of the railway from Porthmadog to near Ffestiniog and opened to freight traffic on April 20th 1836. Powered by horses initially, the first steam locomotives were put in use of October 23rd 1863 at a cost of £1000 for each of the two engines. Passenger services started in 1865 and carried over 100,000 passengers per year were for the first three years along with 100,000 tons of slate. In the 1880's the slate industry was in decline, exasperated by the building of the slate wharf at Delaney by the London North Western Rail Company. By 1900 the company already relied on tourists to make up the income.
|Click on the town name below to visit other areas of Wales or Here for Map|
|Beaumaris||Beddgelert||Betws-y-Coed||Brecon||Builth Wells||Caernarfon||Caldey Island|
|Rhyl||Ruabon||Ruthin||Saundersfoot||St Asaph||St Davids||Swansea|
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -